Famous centre of recreation in the valley of river Úpa between Pěnkavčí and Vlašský ridges. A lot of rereation chalets in wide surroundings. Today is the village a part of Pec pod Sněžkou.
The beginning of settlement has reached to 16th century. In 19th century the ore, copper ore and lead ore have mined. Interesting are Baroque church of Nejsvětější Trojice from the year 1788 and rectory from the year 1823. The funicular goes from Velká Úpa to Portáš´s chalets. In the neigbourhood of village occur several ski tows and downhill courses.